Wednesday, June 29, 2011

From Kenya With Love...

Hey everyone! It’s actually Lindsay posting this time J Thanks to my wonderful little sis for the last post, great job Nicki and thanks in advance for updating for me.
Alright so I made it to Kenya! Sorry about the delay in posting anything but I’ve been enjoying life without technology here way too much. In fact, today marks the first time in over 3 weeks that I’ve looked at a computer screen and I couldn’t be happier. Currently I am in a tiny internet café (the lights are flickering over my head) typing on the stickiest keyboard I’ve ever encountered. Literally getting a work out trying to type this…
Things have been really good for the most part so far. The home stay family I’m living with has been absolutely amazing, I really feel like I am one of the family already. I am actually not operating out of Nairobi as Nicki posted, but a small village on the foothills of Kilimanjaro called Loitokitok. I will be here living with the aforementioned host family until mid August when I will travel the  4+ hours back to Nairobi to swear in as a real volunteer! Until then I’m staying with my mama Alice, my baba George, my little brother Macharia and my little sister Njeri. I cook with mama every night in the kitchen and Njeri tries to teach me a little more Swahili everyday.
The days here are really long for us right now. I’m up at 5:45am everyday, am running every few days, hand washing my clothes twice a week and walking between 1 and 4 miles a day, depending on what activities we have to do.  The language classes are INSANE, we are learning so fast. This week alone we have 16 hours of language class scheduled during the day (plus another 16 hours or so of technical training) and we’re expected to practice with our host families at night. I’m so exhausted by the end of everyday that I go to sleep around 9-10pm every night and sleep like a rock.
As far as food goes, we’re eating well… sometimes I think too well, my home stay mama wants to fatten me up and I have to turn down extra food at every meal. I wish there was a little more flavor in the food and a little less (ie LOT less) carbohydrate served with every meal. All in all though my belly has been a happy camper so far.
In general I have also been a happy camper. Though I miss you all, I’m very, very happy here and am laughing and smiling on a daily basis. I have already made some friends that I know I will have for the rest of my life. I feel very lucky in that respect. Though there haven’t been a lot of tough times so far, in the few there have been, I already know I have people I can count on to be there for me. We’re planning a much needed party for the upcoming 4th of July weekend, so while you are all out on the boat enjoying the weekend, know that I’m camping somewhere In Kenya doing the same!
Well, I'm being charged by the minute and there’s a line forming for the computer, so I’d better get going. Love you all and hope you are half as happy as I am J

2 comments:

  1. I'm so so happy to hear that things are going well, and that you're so happy! It sounds like such an incredible journey, and it seems like it is truly your calling. It's corny, but you're an inspiration Lindsay! I know you're going to make a huge impact there. I miss you, and can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so fun to hear from you! I'm super excited that things are going so well for you. I have a small idea of what you mean by no technology. When we go camping I usually shut my phone off and don't touch any of that stuff for like 3 or 4 days and I always hate coming back to it. But I am excited we get to hear from you every once and awhile! I hope things continue you to go well! I still think of you everyday when I put my bracelet on before work :) I miss you and love you tons!

    PS I mailed you a postcard while we were on vacation. I can easily see it getting lost and didn't have high hopes of it making it to you but I took a picture of it so I have a record of what I wrote to you. :)

    ReplyDelete