Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Finally know when and where I'm going......

I am THRILLED to report that I finally received my official invitation envelope today and I will be leaving May 30th 2011 for Kenya, Africa!!!! 


   I will be a member of the public health division of the Peace Corps, specifically as an educator in HIV/AIDS prevention and hygiene. The location in which we will do our in country training (June 1st-July 21st) is a village/town called Loitokitok, which is located in Southeast Kenya near the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro. During our 6 week in-country training we will find out where exactly we will be spending the next 2 years for our actual service.  
     
     Some things about Kenya:
           *   The geography is very diverse, which means the climate is also very diverse. Temperatures can be as low as 40 degrees F and as high as 100 degrees. 
           *   The country is about twice the size of Nevada
           *   The official language is Swahili though many people speak English. Most people in rural areas speak their own dialects
           *   The largest lake in Africa (lake Victoria) is on the Southeast border of Kenya
           *   The population is just under 34 million people

    More to come as I start to pack and plan for my life through July of 2013!

1 comment:

  1. Ahh! I just saw this (after getting your FB message)! I'm so excited for you!! Also a little sad because I'm going to miss you but we can become old school style pen pals :)

    ReplyDelete